Did you know these hard facts on water situation in Africa?
- Africa is the world´s second-driest continent after Australia.
- About 66% of Africa is arid or semi-arid and more than 300 of the 800 million people in sub-Saharan Africa live in a water-scarce environment – meaning that they have less than 1,000 gallons per capita per year.
- 115 people in Africa die every hour from diseases linked to poor sanitation, poor hygiene and contaminated water.
- 35% of Water and Sanitation aid commitment on MDG goes to Africa with Sub-Saharan having 27% of the financial allocation.
- In Africa, especially sub-Saharan Africa, more than a quarter of the population spends more than half an hour per round trip to collect water.
- Africa’s rising population is driving demand for water and accelerating the degradation of water resources.
- The urban slum population in sub-Saharan African countries is expected to double to 400 million by 2020 if governments do not take immediate and radical action.
What is the future of water in Africa?